The Second Heart Program is a supportive housing program that revives dignity by providing robust services tailored to the needs of our clients.
We have 7 properties across Sarasota and Manatee counties that serve 43 individuals. We serve single adults experiencing or at-risk of homelessness. Our clients must have a commitment to addressing and managing their mental health and working towards short and long-term goals.
Some common contributing factors to homelessness and barriers to housing include:
- Mental/ physical disabilities
- Absent support system
- Displacement from natural disasters
- Affordable Housing Crisis
- Dual diagnosis/ self-medicating
- Low or absent income
- Poor work history
- Insufficient, or difficulty navigating, resources
- Loss of employment
- Family crisis
- Domestic abuse
- Petty crimes related to homelessness
Second Heart Homes
- Housing with supportive services
- Workshops to develop skills needed for self-sufficiency
- Community Integration
- Develop tools to advance into independent housing
- Stay in program for long-term
The Second Heart Program enhances the quality of life by providing housing, daily support, mentorship and workshops.
Many of our clients have never had the opportunity to learn many soft and hard skills. We look at the needs of each client and create a care plan that teaches them the skills to stop only surviving and start thriving.
Some of our workshops include:
- Computer Literacy
- Budgeting Classes
- Guided Meditation
- Job Seeking
- Resume Building
- Time Management
- Skilled-Art Instruction
- Volunteer Community Engagement
All these elements come together to create a purpose-driven community that gets people off of the streets and into a caring home setting and the stability needed to advance in life.
For more information about our game-changing program and services, listen to the Sarasota Stories Podcast, “Facing the Sarasota Homeless Problem with SHH Founder Megan Howell.”
***Disclaimer*** Images of previous clients may be used from time to time.